- Name: Ionic bonding
- Code: C.4.10.B.1
- Specification Reference: 18.104.22.168
- Keywords: Ions, charge, electrons, positive, negative
- Objectives: To state what is meant by an ion. To calculate the charge formed when electrons are gained or lost from an element. To state what is meant by an ionic bond. To deduce the empirical formula of an ionic compound from a diagram or ions charges.
- Competency: Identify and describe an ionic bond
- Proficiency: Draw dot and cross diagrams for ionic compounds formed by metals in Groups 1 and 2 with non-metals in Groups 6 and 7
- Mastery: Work out the empirical formula of an ionic compound from a given model or diagram that shows the ions in the structure.