- Name: How did hospitals change in the 18th century?
- Code: H.4.10.BH.16
- Specification Reference: N/A
- Keywords: Treatment, dispensaries, surgeons, doctors, training
- Objectives: Students learn about the development of hospitals in the late 18th and 19th century. It is an opportunity to identify change in the concept of a hospital; for example, changing from care to treatment and learning, dispensaries and the training of surgeons and doctors. Students can compare medieval hospitals with late 18th and early 19th century hospitals.
- Competency: To describe the changes to the training and status of surgeons and doctors
- Proficiency: To explain the growth of new hospitals, and how they were different from medieval hospitals
- Mastery: To evaluate the contribution that C18th hospitals made to medical care