- Name: How was pain conquered?
- Code: H.4.10.BH.19
- Specification Reference: N/A
- Keywords: N/A
- Objectives: Students should learn about: • the types of chemicals used • how they were tested and developed • why there was opposition to progress • how opposition was overcome • consequences of these developments; for example, freedom from pain, opportunity to do perform complex surgery and mortality rates
- Competency: To describe the development of anaesthetics- role of James Simpson & Chloroform
- Proficiency: To explain the opposition to anaesthetics and how it was overcome
- Mastery: To evaluate the impact of anaesthetics on surgery