- Name: Jenner and smallpox
- Code: H.4.10.BH.17
- Specification Reference: N/A
- Keywords: Edward Jenner, discovery, vaccination, inoculation
- Objectives: Students should learn about the work of Edward Jenner. They should consider how he came to his discovery and his understanding of how his discovery worked. This is an opportunity to establish the difference between vaccination versus inoculation. Students should also learn about the reasons for opposition.
- Competency: To describe smallpox and its treatment using inoculation
- Proficiency: To explain how Edward Jenner made his discovery, and the opposition he faced
- Mastery: To evaluate the impact of vaccination