- Name: Genetic disorders
- Code: B.3.9.B.5
- Specification Reference: N/A
- Keywords: Disorders, genetic, polydactyl
- Objectives: To know certain disorders are inherited due to certain alleles being passed to offspring. To understand that cystic fibrosis is a disorder that affects cell membranes and is only passed on if both parents have the faulty allele. To appreciate the economic, social and ethical issues surrounding the screening of embryos.
- Competency: Describe the inherited disorders polydactyly and cystic fibrosis.
- Proficiency: Use genetic cross diagrams to explain inheritance and carriers.
- Mastery: Make informed judgements about the economic, social and ethical issues concerning embryo screening.